Monday 31 March 2014

Day 21 - Favourite Book From Your Childhood

I read a lot as a child. I was the stereotypical bookish only child and I went to the library at least once a week.  I read voraciously, anything I could get my hands on.  It was also the golden time of "Jackanory" on kid's TV and I found several of my favourites from there.

I had so many favourites - I've probably missed out loads, so may have to add to the list as I go along.
Milly Molly Mandy - can't remember much about these except the stylised illustrations, but I lapped them up.
The Faraway Tree - who didn't read these in the seventies?
Secret Seven - I did read the Famous Five, but I found these more interesting.
Malory Towers, St Clares and The Naughtiest Girl in the School - I so wanted to go to boarding school!
Arabella's Raven - Bernard Cribbens read it on Jackanory and I loved these books.
The Swish of the Curtain series - I was a real drama kid at heart but wasn't brave enough to actually do it!
Sue Barton series - I've only remembered these by doing the challenge and am currently re-reading them.  Sheer nostalgia.
Danny Champion of the World - The first Roald Dahl I ever read.  Thank you to Mrs Drury who read it to our class at story time.  Kids at school don't seem to get this any more, but I loved it and still do.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - again, thank you Mrs Drury! 
Bogwoppit - another Jackanory find this time Prunella Scales.  I found it hilarious.



But apart from books, I also went to dancing class (and was a bit of a frustrated, inhibited actress too) and had a strict teacher who was beyond terrifying!  I read lots about the ballet and although I knew I'd never be good enough, I loved immersing myself in that world and so read everything by Noël Streatfeild.  They were all good but my favourite is Ballet Shoes.  I first found it as BBC children's TV programme and I nagged mum to buy me the book...it became a regular thing for my poor mum! 
I went through phases of related to each sister, but as I said earlier in the challenge, it was Pauline (the actressy one) that was my real favourite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment