Sunday 11 January 2009

and another...

Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist by MC Beaton
Still am a big fan of Agatha and up until 2/3 of the way through this one was really enjoying the change of scenery - it's set in Northern Cyprus. Then I started to find Charles tiresome and the unexplained coincidence of him being at the same resort and hotel didn't work for me. James becomes even more remote and Agatha more needy...I think she misses the calming influence of Mrs Bloxby!
I thought this the weakest of the series so far and hope it's just a blip.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
So, it's not changed my life!
Bought this years ago after reading an article somewhere which raved about this book and the other works of Coehlo. It's one of those that sat on the shelf, making me feel guilty whilst I read lots of trash and nothing worthy...so I finally got to it and...I don't really know what to say, but I'll try!
It's a fable - a gentle meander through a shepherd's journey to find treasure and what he learns on the way. Okay, so you must learn to listen to your heart, follow the omens and follow your dream...easier said than done, but maybe I'm not spirtitual enough! Not my usual type of book and I'm not searching for meaning in my life, like most people I'm reasonably satisfied with life and this hasn't changed the way I look at things. I'm sure this book has helped many people, but it's not my way of reaching enlightenment, although it was a pleasant way to pass an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment