Tuesday 16 December 2014

I Will Marry George Clooney (...by Christmas) by Tracy Bloom


***1/2

It’s definitely a title to attract attention, and it was that alone that made me request a copy from netgalley.  I haven’t read anything else by this author, but was expecting a fun, light-hearted Christmas read.

Michelle has an argument with her stroppy teenage daughter, Josie which results in the promise that she will marry George Clooney by Christmas.  Michelle is an ordinary single mum with a boring job in the chicken factory and only a fabulous chicken recipe to her name, but she decides to follow her dreams and go after her man, with the help of her friends.  

Yes it’s a silly premise and the whole story is pretty ridiculous and mildly cringeworthy in places.  My biggest grumble is that it didn’t really feel like a Christmas book and there’s very few references to the season, which I was a bit disappointed by.  Overall, it’s frothy and entertaining, with a positive message but it’s not a memorable book as I didn’t find Michelle a strong enough character to really engage with.

Thank you to the publishers and netgalley for my review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment