Saturday 8 January 2011

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

*****+
Let's be honest, it's impossible to write a review for this! 
I was first introduced to P&P at age thirteen, by an enthusiastic English teacher who realised that I was a voracious reader, but lacked taste and judgement!  It was the best copy from a heap of much neglected, smelly, scrawled on and slightly mildewed books from the depths of the store cupboard (Austen just wasn't been done in a Northern Comprehensive in the mid-eighties). I still thank her for her ability to spark a bit of an obsession!  It is one of my all time favourites, the perfect novel that still sparkles with wit and freshness after all this time and many re-readings. I've lost count of the number of times I've read it.  Darcy remains my ideal hero (yes, I know I'm in a huge queue...but this was true even before Colin Firth in the wet shirt!)
There's nothing I can add, other than and that this time I've listened to the audiobook narrated by Emilia Fox, which was brilliantly done and fully appreciated the characterisations.
Fab-u-lous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment