Sunday 17 August 2014

A Place For Us (Part 1) by Harriet Evans

****

This is the first of four instalments and thankfully I don’t have too long to wait to be able to get my hands on the next part!  It comes out later this month and it’s already on my Amazon wishlist.

Martha is preparing for her eightieth birthday party and sends out invitations including a cryptic comment about an important announcement.  The parties at Winterfold are legendary but the once close-knit family appears to have become more scattered of late.  The story is told with chapters written from the perspective of different characters which reveals their own secrets.

It’s a slow build that gradually discloses the cracks in the seemingly perfect lives of the Winters.  There are a lot of characters involved, which I found a bit muddled at first, but despite that I was desperate to read on and find out more about Martha’s announcement and it ends on a real cliffhanger.

I haven’t read anything by Harriet Evans for a while (I loved A Hopeless Romantic) and this has spurred me to find a couple of books that have been languishing for ages on my kindle.  I will definitely read on as the rest of the series becomes available.


Thank you to Netgalley and Headline for my review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment